As of today, we’re officially no longer supporting the very old Ruby 1.8, Python 2.5 and Python 2.6 programs on our servers. They’ll soon be removed from our servers entirely. (Ruby and Python are scripting languages; if you don’t know what they are, your site is unlikely to affected by this and you can ignore it.)
We’ve updated the default version of Ruby on Rails on our servers to version 2.2.3.
If you have a Ruby on Rails application that originally used Rails 1.1.6 or earlier, you might have trouble after yesterday’s Rails update (which also updated several other Ruby “gems”, including the “RubyGems” gem itself).
We’ve updated the default version of Ruby on Rails on our servers to version 2.1.0.
A heads-up if you use Ruby on Rails: We’re going to be upgrading the default version on our servers to 2.0.2 soon. We want to give you plenty of notice, because when we tried upgrading some older test applications, they didn’t work without changes.
We’ve updated several things on our servers today:
- Ruby on Rails was updated from version 1.2.3 to 1.2.6. (If you use Rails on your site, our page explaining how to freeze Rails explains how you can get total control of Rails updates.)
- phpMyAdmin was updated from version 18.104.22.168 to 22.214.171.124.
- The WordPress software that runs this blog was updated to version 2.3.1. That doesn’t directly affect our customers — but if you’ve installed your own version of WordPress on your own site, this is a good reminder to update it: some older versions have security vulnerabilities. (We found that the update from 2.2.X to 2.3.1 was painless.)
- Messages getting marked as spam when you send from your own domain name using Gmail?
- PHP versions 7.3.27, 7.4.16 and 8.0.3
- WordPress 5.7
- Our servers are not vulnerable to the March 2021 Microsoft Exchange security bug
- Upgrading to Debian 10 “buster” (complete)
- President’s Day 2021 holiday hours
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day 2021 holiday hours
- PHP versions 7.3.26, 7.4.14 and 8.0.1
- New Year’s 2021 Holiday Hours
- Christmas 2020 Holiday Hours